Spelt pasta with asparagus two ways
Cook the spelt pasta in salt water until al dente, then drain, saving a little pasta water to toss the pasta in to prevent it from sticking together.
Roughly remove the woody ends from the green asparagus and cut into bite-size pieces. Put half of the asparagus (lower asparagus pieces) into a food processor with the remaining pesto ingredients and a dash of lemon juice and blend to the desired consistency. Season with extra salt and pepper to taste if required.
Place the upper asparagus pieces in a little cooking olive oil in a pan or on the Tepan grill and cook for about 3 minutes with a dash of lemon juice, salt and pepper.
Combine the pasta with the pesto, asparagus and additional herbs to taste then serve.
For four persons
- 500 g wholemeal spelt pasta
For the pesto:
- 500 g green asparagus
- 75 g Pecorino cheese, coarsely chopped
- 75 ml olive oil
- 5–6 sprigs of basil, coarsely chopped
- 5–6 sprigs of chives, coarsely chopped
- 5–6 redvein dock leaves (or other fresh herbs), coarsely chopped, plus additional leaves for garnishing
- 2 dashes of lemon juice
- 1 small garlic clove
- Natural or sea salt
- Ground pepper
- A little cooking olive oil